EFFECTIVE AS OF MAY 27, 2016
1. Information Collected by us within the Service
In order to maximize your experience and to provide you with enhanced products and services, WG may collect personally identifiable information ("PII") from you, including your name, e-mail address, billing address, phone number, and credit card information. For example, we collect PII when you make a purchase from us or sign up for one of our premium or enhanced services. Other examples of when we collect PII are when you:
• Complete a survey
• Register for a promotion, contest or sweepstakes
• Send us an e-mail message or complete an inquiry form to receive additional information
• Submit a photo or video • Report weather or other conditions
• Submit information about yourself (e.g., your gender, age, age range, address, birthday)
• Participate in an online forum or community
• View content on the Services
• Customize the Services,
• Request alerts or notifications
• Report locations or
• Authenticate your account with a cable, satellite or IP delivered content provider.
We also may collect certain information through automated means, such as:
• Specific geographic location where you are currently located
• Information about your device and device capabilities
• Information about your device operating system
• Information about the applications on your device
• Information about how you use the Services
• Information about device events, such as crashes
• Information about your network
• Your activities on the Services
• IP address
• Device identifier
• Browser type
• Browser identifier
• Referring URL
Chat Sessions, Blogs, and Submissions. In the case of participation in a chat session, we require you to select a user name. Please be aware that chat sessions are monitored and transcripts are posted on the Site for access by other users. Any information, including PII, that you submit during a chat session, in blog comments, in community discussions, in any other user comment field, or in connection with your content submissions, including photo and video submissions, can be read, collected, or used by others who access them, and could be used by other users to send you unsolicited messages. We are not responsible for the information, including PII, you choose to submit in these forums.
Content Submissions. If you upload, rate or share videos or photos, you have to be registered and logged into this feature, and you will be required to provide us with a user name and email address or you can log in through your social media provider. If you provide us with content, including, without limitation, submissions and user comments, any metadata, including, without limitation, geo-location and tags, in that content may become publicly available.
Location Information. In certain instances in our Services, you will be able to input specific location information in order for us to bring up the content for that location. For that Service, we will ask you to input specific location such as address, city and state or zip code.
To offer you certain Services, provide advertisements based on your physical geographic location, and engage in the other uses described below, on some devices we provide you the option to opt-in to allow us to use your physical geographic location using GPS, cellular network location based services on your device, IP address, or browser services. In particular, we may collect and record the locations you visit or report on your device if you use our applications. Such information may also be stored on your device. You may at any time discontinue these geo-location services by going to the settings on your device or by deleting the application.
Turning location services off will also disable certain services in the application, including alerts.
Alerts and notifications. In certain of our Services, you have the ability to receive push notifications for updates. To provide these Services, we may need to collect your email address, phone number, device information, and mobile carrier information, in addition to collecting your zip code, physical geographic location and locations you have reported on your device to determine the location(s) to which the alert, update or notification pertains. If you no longer wish to receive these types of notifications you may opt-out by turning them off within the settings of your mobile device.
2. How We Use and Share Your Information
One of the most valuable assets of our business is you. Except as described below WG does not rent, sell or share PII about you with other people or non-affiliated companies.
A. Weather Group and its Affiliates
We use information collected on the Services, and disclose information to third parties, including your physical geographic location, to help fulfill your requests or in connection with the operation of the Services, for example to service your account, conduct a transaction or provide a service that you have requested, display information and advertisements that we believe match your interests and profile, facilitate updates to the Services, provide support, notify you if you've won a contest or sweepstakes, improve the working of the Services, determine if you are eligible for a trial offering of a Service, authenticate your subscription with your cable, satellite or IP delivered content provider and compile statistics about our users and your use of the Services. We and such third parties may combine information about you with information obtained from other parties to market to you products or services that may be of interest to you.
We also use information collected on the Services, and disclose information to third parties, including your physical geographic location, to display information and advertisements that we believe match your interests and profile. At various points, we may provide you with the opportunity to opt-in to receive special offers from WG and its affiliates. If you choose to opt in, WG and its affiliates will use your PII to inform you of other products or services available from WG and its affiliates, including Weather Group Television, LLC. These products may include, for example, schedules for special programs on The Weather Channel® cable network.
B. Companies Offering Promotions, Products, or Services
At times we will provide you with the opportunity to opt-in to receive promotions, products or services from third party sponsors. With your permission, WG will periodically send to you, via e-mail, offers and promotions from our third party sponsors which we select based upon your interests or user profile. In this case we do not share your information with the third party sponsors-we do the mailing for them. You will always have the opportunity, to opt-out of receiving future offers by following the unsubscribe link included with each email. In other instances, we provide you with the opportunity to receive products and services directly from specifically identified third parties through the Services. In these instances, you must explicitly consent to receive each offer. When you explicitly agree to receive offers from specific third parties, your information is shared with the specific third party to enable them to provide you with the offer you have requested. We are not responsible for the information collection practices of these third parties, and all information provided is governed by the privacy policies of these third parties. You should review the privacy policies of these parties before supplying PII to them.
C. Third-Party Processors
When your information is collected on the Services, it may be collected directly by or shared with selected third parties in connection with the operation of the Services or the provision of services to you ("Third Party Processors"). These Third Party Processors may include, for example, companies that process credit card information or handle shipping for WG, that deliver materials to you via e-mail or postal service, that organize, administer, process, or provide advertising services, that authenticate your subscription with your cable, satellite or IP delivered content provider, provide support, assist with system crashes, help diagnose problems, and/or analyze data on our behalf to help us provide more relevant offers and advertising to you and to eliminate the delivery of duplicate offers as well as correcting and/or updating users' data based on information we provide them. We also provide your information to third party mapping service providers to provide you with map content for the Services. Third party processors are authorized to use your information that we provide to them only to carry out the service they are providing for WG. We require that the Third Party Processors securely store the PII we provide to them and maintain it so that it can be accessed when needed for future purposes, and all such Third Party Processors are contractually bound by us to keep the PII confidential.
D. Other Web Sites, Other Services, Plug-Ins and Links
E. Use by Us of IP Addresses, Cookies, Web Beacons, Single-pixel Gifs, and Information Saved by Other Technologies
WG and Third Party Processors acting on our behalf use various Internet technologies which help us to manage the operations of our Services and track usage behavior so that we can tailor information and advertisements to make your visits more enjoyable and meaningful. These Internet technologies include:
• IP Addresses: An IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to a computer by the internet service provider whenever the computer is connected to the Internet. Web servers, the computers that deliver web pages, automatically identify a computer by its IP address, and when a page is requested from a website, its servers log the IP address of the computer requesting the page.
• Cookies: Cookies are text files containing small amounts of information which are downloaded to your computer or mobile device when you visit a website. Cookies are then sent back to the originating website on each subsequent visit, or to another website that recognizes that cookie. Cookies are useful because they allow a website to recognize a user's device. You can find more information about cookies at: www.allaboutcookies.org.
• Beacons and single-pixel Gifs: electronic tags. Certain pages on our website contain web beacons (also known as Internet tags, pixel tags and clear GIFs). A pixel tag is an electronic image, often a single pixel (1x1), which is ordinarily not visible to users and may be associated with cookies on users' hard drives. These pixel tags collect anonymous data. These web beacons allow third parties to obtain information such as the IP address of the computer that downloaded the page on which the beacon appears, the URL of the page on which the beacon appears, the time the page containing the beacon was viewed, the type of browser used to view the page, and the information in cookies sent by the third party.
• Local Shared Objects: storage within your browser on your electronic device. In addition to the above cookies, we use Local Shared Objects such as HTML5 LocalStorage on our website. These are used to enhance your user experience, for example, by storing your user preferences and settings, such as your volume/mute settings, and in connection with animated content on our website. Local Shared Objects are similar to browser cookies, but can store data more complex than simple text. By themselves, they cannot do anything to or with the data on your computer. Like other cookies, they can only access PII that you have provided on this site and cannot be accessed by other websites. For more information and to find out how to disable them, you can consult the information provided at http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/526/52697ee8.html.
Information that WG collects via the technologies described in this section may be linked to other information about you. WG uses the technologies described in this section, alone or in combination, to provide and administer our services, understand user behavior, manage services operations, measure the effectiveness of advertisements and our service operations, target advertising, help diagnose problems, recognize repeat visitors, track and analyze usage behavior, facilitate your access to and use of our services, serve, target, control, and measure advertisements on our Services, count users who have visited certain areas of our Services we wish to track, and help determine the effectiveness of advertising campaigns on our services. In addition, we may share demographic information, location data, IP address, aggregate (not individual) usage statistics for our Services, other identifiers and information with advertisers and other third parties. For example, we may share IP address, random or anonymous device identifier, city and state, ZIP code, and specific geo-location with the parties identified in subparagraph F below.
Your browser, such as Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and Safari, may allow you to manage your cookies and Local Shared Objects such as HTML5 LocalStorage. Most browsers are initially set up to accept cookies. Each browser is a little different, so look at your browser’s help feature that will tell you how to stop accepting new cookies, how to receive notification of new cookies, and how to disable existing cookies. Please note, however, that without cookies you may not be able to take full advantage of all our website features and some parts of the site may not function properly. For more information about cookies and how to disable them, you can consult the information at www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies/.
In addition to your own browser cookie removal, you may also opt out of additional third party advertising networks by going to the Network Advertising Initiative's website at http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp and following the directions there.
WG contracts with certain Third Party Processors to track, analyze and report data about the usage of our Services using these Internet technologies. These Third Party Processors include Adobe and its Adobe Analytics product. To obtain information about the privacy and security practices of Adobe and your options to set your Adobe preferences, use the following link: http://www.adobe.com/privacy.html. Opt-outs are device specific and may not work on all devices.
You can also opt out of future information collection from our Services by ceasing use of the Service or in the case of an application, uninstalling the application.
G. Purchase or Sale of Businesses WG continually looks for ways to improve our business, including purchasing or selling all or part of a business or company. If we buy or sell a business, PII and non-personal information will likely be transferred as part of the sale. If we buy a business, we will honor the requests of that business's former customers regarding their PII. If in connection with a sale there will be material changes to the way PII is being used, affected consumers who have provided us with an email address will be notified via e-mail and will be given the opportunity to opt-out.
3. E-mail a Friend If you choose to use a feature that allows you to e-mail parts of the Services to a friend, in most circumstances we need to have access to your and your friend's e-mail addresses temporarily to send the e-mail due to technical requirements. This information is not used for any other purpose.
4. Opting-Out and Cancellations
If you receive an offer or promotion from WG or a third party related to WG you must have opted in. To ensure we have your consent, we make sure that each e-mail sent to you by WG presents the additional opportunity to opt-out of receiving future e-mails.
5. Children's Privacy
WG is committed to protecting the safety and privacy of young people using the Internet. We do not knowingly collect PII from children under the age of 13 and believe that children should get their parents' or guardians' consent before giving out any PII. The Services may contain links to third party Web sites and other services geared to children. The linked sites and services are not under the control of WG. We are not responsible for the contents of any linked site or service or any link contained in a linked site or service, nor are we responsible for the privacy practices of the operators of those sites or services with respect to children. We strongly encourage parents and guardians to review the privacy policies of all linked sites and services.
6. International Transfer
WG, and all associated Services and systems, including registration, is housed on servers operated in the United States. If you are located in the European Union or elsewhere outside of the United States, please be aware that information we collect (including cookies) will be processed and stored in the United States, a jurisdiction in which the data protection and privacy laws may not offer the same level of protection as those in the country where you reside or are a citizen. By using our Services and providing information to use, you consent to the transfer to and processing of the information in the United States.
7. Our Commitment to Security
Weather Group Television, LLC
300 Interstate North Pkwy SE
Atlanta, GA 30339
ATTN: Legal Dept