Epic Conditions Campaign Includes Pioneering Use of Bluetooth
The Weather Channel has unveiled plans for a major outdoor marketing campaign to promote Epic Conditions, its new limited-run series looking at how various outdoor sports intersect with ideal weather. The campaign for Epic Conditions will also include mobile, online and on-air elements. The series will run on five Sundays beginning March 4 at 9 p.m., ET/PT.
The marketing campaign includes the following outdoor elements:
• Holographic outdoor ads on New York City phone kiosks showcasing two alternating images – skiing with an avalanche backdrop and surfing against 90 foot waves. A number of the kiosks will be Bluetooth-enabled, allowing passers-by with Bluetooth mobile devices to immediately download a 30 second show preview.
• A Times-Square billboard featuring an extreme sports skiing visual during the show's run for a special promotion, with live reports broadcast from atop the billboard.
In addition to the out-of-home elements, the marketing campaign includes:
• Video preview shorts for TWC Mobile users via Verizon, Sprint, AT&T-Cingular and Mobi-TV.
• Tune-in ads on Spike, Discovery Channel and other networks.
• Cross-channel promotion on Dish and DirectTV along with 8 million DirectTV Sunday newspaper inserts.
• Nissan-tagged spots, vignettes and billboards on The Weather Channel network.
An interactive preview site offering sneak peek video shorts and the chance for visitors to become editors by creating and designing their own "Epic Mash Up!" videos via existing show clips (www.epicmashup.com). The "Mash Up" offers a viral component by allowing users to send their customized videos to other online users.
About The Weather Channel Companies
The Weather Channel companies (TWCC) are made up of The Weather Channel® television network, The Weather Channel digital properties, and WSI. The Weather Channel is based in Atlanta and is seen in more than 100 million U.S. households. TWCC also operates Weatherscan®, a 24-hour all-local weather network; The Weather Channel Radio Network; and The Weather Channel HD. The most popular source of weather news and information, TWCC properties reach 60 million monthly Web consumers (weather.com and Desktop) and 32 million monthly mobile users (mobile Web and applications) and offers the second most popular mobile app on all smartphones. WSI, headquartered in Andover, MA, primarily provides business-to-business weather services, particularly for the media, aviation, marine and energy sectors. TWCC is owned by a consortium made up of NBC Universal and the private equity firms The Blackstone Group and Bain Capital. For more information, visit www.weather.com/press.