New Six-part Series Follows Storm Chasers on their Quest for Tornadoes
The high-voltage drama and dangerous adventure of tornado chasing touches down on The Weather Channel® (TWC) with the world television premiere of Tornado Road premiering Sunday, Oct. 18, at 8 p.m. ET. This new six-part series comes from Thom Beers and the producers of Deadliest Catch, Ice Road Truckers and America's Toughest Jobs. Tornado Roadfollows multiple teams racing against each other into the dangers of Mother Nature to see who can capture the most tornado and severe weather footage.
The series takes place across the Great Plains where a peaceful, serene spring day can resemble a battleground during tornado season. For these teams, made up of meteorologists, other scientists and tornado enthusiasts, chasing tornadoes is a passion, a hobby and a livelihood where a month's salary can be made in just a few hours.
Each one-hour episode of Tornado Road follows these teams on their journey across state lines equipped with GPS, weather gadgets and forecasting maps to help predict and battle fierce weather conditions such as strong wind, rain, lightning and hail.
Meet the teams:
- Simon and Juston, two recent college graduates with meteorology degrees, turn their love for chasing tornados into a full time job. Will it be enough to make a living?
- "Tornado Tim" and his daughter, Krystallin, gear up for a road trip in the "hailinator" - fully equipped with bullet proof glass. Not afraid to bring his religious fervor into the chase, Tim explains to his daughter why he thinks God created tornados.
- Doug, known as the "Weather Paparazzi," makes a living by capturing extreme weather footage. Can Doug show rookie chaser Philip the ropes or will their strong tempers and personalities brew a storm of their own?
- Jon, a tornado chasing veteran and known as the legendary forecasting godfather, partners with fiancée Shawna . Can their relationship weather these storms and if they finally make their way to the altar.
- Newlyweds Beau and Donya are meteorologists whose love for chasing tornados brought them closer. This season of chasing is their honeymoon, but how long will bliss last?
The first three episodes of Tornado Road premiere Sunday, Oct.18 beginning at 8 p.m. ET, followed by the fourth episode on Tuesday, Oct. 20, at 3 p.m. ET. Final episodes premiere Wednesday, Oct. 21, beginning at 2 p.m. ET.
About The Weather Channel Companies
The Weather Channel companies (TWCC) are made up of The Weather Channel® television network, The Weather Channel digital properties, and WSI. The Weather Channel is based in Atlanta and is seen in more than 100 million U.S. households. TWCC also operates Weatherscan®, a 24-hour all-local weather network; The Weather Channel Radio Network; and The Weather Channel HD. The most popular source of weather news and information, TWCC properties reach 60 million monthly Web consumers (weather.com and Desktop) and 32 million monthly mobile users (mobile Web and applications) and offers the second most popular mobile app on all smartphones. WSI, headquartered in Andover, MA, primarily provides business-to-business weather services, particularly for the media, aviation, marine and energy sectors. TWCC is owned by a consortium made up of NBC Universal and the private equity firms The Blackstone Group and Bain Capital. For more information, visit www.weather.com/press.