ATLANTA (Jan. 4, 2016) -- During the fourth quarter of 2016, The Weather Channel was among the top seven cable networks who showed year-over-year growth. Due in part to 21% year-over-year growth of signature morning show AMHQ and the steady growth in live programming, momentum continued in December as The Weather Channel gained 17% growth of audience engagement, compared to most cable competitors who showed slower growth and losses.
Fourth Quarter Highlights:
- Total Day was very strong, with The Weather Channel closing out fourth quarter 2016 with a 65K delivery and positive growth over 2015 – gaining 33% amongst P25-54 and ranking among the Top 7 cable networks in terms of year-over-year growth. Average time spent viewing grew 37% in quarter four, with The Weather Channel ranking third among competitors in growth.
- Mornings: The Weather Channel signature morning program, AMHQ, delivered steady growth among P25-54, with year-over-year growth of 64%, ranking it in the Top 10 cable networks in the time period for year-over-year growth. Additionally, average weekly time spent viewing grew by 45%, making AMHQ the fastest growing morning show among the competitive set.
- Weekend mornings also delivered year-over-year growth among P25-54 (+29%). The Weather Channel’s weekend mornings ranked #4 in growth among the competitive set and #3 in average weekly time spent viewing growth. (+24%).
End of Month, December 2016 Highlights:
- The Weather Channel continued to grow with the P25-54 demographic, up 2% while most competitive networks showed losses. The Weather Channel ranked #3 among competitors in growth of average weekly time spent viewing, with a 17% increase versus 2015.
- Morning television continued to drive growth. AMHQ grew 21% year-over-year with P25-54 and earned a spot in the Top 24 cable networks for year-over-year growth in the time period, and average weekly time spent viewing grew by 20% weekend mornings also grew 8% year-over-year among P25-54.
Nielsen Media Research, L+SD.
Total Day: M-Su 6A-6A. AMHQ: M-F 6A-9A. Weekend Mornings: SS 5A-12P.
4Q16 Highlights: 9/26/16-12/25/16 vs 9/28/15-12/27/15.
December Highlights: 11/28/16-12/25/16 vs 11/30/15-12/27/15.
Average weekly time spent viewing: 1 minute qualifier.
The Weather Channel television network
For more than 34 years, The Weather Channel television network has been the leader in severe weather coverage, providing the most comprehensive analysis of any media outlet. For six years in a row, Harris Poll has ranked The Weather Channel as the “TV News Brand of the Year.” With trusted meteorologists who analyze, forecast and report the weather - its expertise is unrivaled. Engaging with fans and delivering content to feed their fascination with all things weather is paramount to the network’s mission. With the recently launched community platform, weloveweather.tv, the network created a 2-way dialogue with fans, establishing an ongoing relationship with those that have a passion for weather. For more information visit weathergroup.com.